Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Labor history







Okay, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth, just a little slow getting back to normal with this baby. I wrote this while in the hospital, but just didn't post it and I haven't been on the internet since! The pictures of course downloaded out of order. The top picture is me just minutes after having Bryson. The middle picture is me in labor. The bottom picture is a very nervous me about to be induced.

Dec. 30th

12:23pm the hospital started the pitocin.

1:23 I started getting shakey just like during my other labors and decided to get an epidural before I was shaking too badly to sit still. I wasn't very uncomfortable yet so I was nervous to get it (big needle only worth it when very uncomfortable), but I survived and got my epidural early. It was the best epidural ever - he combined it with some other drug that made me very relaxed and I didn't get the shakes!!

2:20 I was almost a 5, but only 75%. (With Blake I was a 4 and 20 min. later I was a 10) So the nurse called the doctor and turned down the pitocin.

2:59 I was a 6 and 85% and the doctor was with another patient and hadn't called back so turned off the pitocin. Put me on oxygen because baby not likeing contractions. Baby did better.

3:29 Still a 6. Doctor at hospital. Turned back on pitocin. Baby not doing well at all during contractions (heart beat slowed way down or completely disappeared). Kept checking me hoping I was complete. Kept having me change positions. Finally started inserting water back into the uterus to relieve pressure from cord (suspected cord wrapped around baby). I was getting very nervous we'd be doing an emergency c-section.

4:10 About to open a fetal monitor to put on baby's head. I suggest they check me first. Sure enough I was complete. Everyone was so relieved. (We had the head nurse in with us at this point.)

4:14 Baby born. :) Dr. came in and had me push (I was feeling a lot of pressure at this point, the epidural had mostly worn off.) I pushed once and saw the doctor reach for something - afraid it was a scaple I asked if I would need an episiotomy (I knew I would feel it and wanted numbing first if I needed one.) The doctor chuckled and said the baby was chewing on his fingers. In complete dismay I stated "You mean the head is already out?!" Everyone had a good chuckle. The cord was wrapped around his neck 3 times so luckily this was a fast labor or else I would be miserably recovering from a c-section instead of sitting on my bed, cross legged and drug free.

2 comments:

Katie Phillips said...

Oh Tami. You are gorgeous all the time--even while having a baby!!!

Julie said...

Holy cow. I didn't realize you had posted so far back and I also didn't realize you had such an eventful labor. I am glad all turned out well.