The week after Blake's b-day was an emotional one. Scott's cousin was full term with a little girl when the baby unexpectedly died. She had a terrible 24 hours of labor to deliver the baby. They had an autopsy to see what happened because it just didn't make sense - she was healthy and beautiful. I haven't heard the results of the autopsy as of yet. My heart just aches for them. I cannot imagine. The funeral was tough. Nothing could have prepared me for how tiny the casket was or the pain that I would see in the parent's faces. The whole thing was just so painful.
A few days later we drove to Logan to see Scott's grandpa who is 101 this month. He has been mostly deaf and blind for years now, but was still surprisingly healthy. He is now bed ridden and has been very ill for months now. We finally made it up to see him and were not prepared to see how fragile he was and how much weight he's lost. He is staying at his daughter's house as grandma is unable to fully care for him (she is 95). She was telling us how hard it is to be away from each other. Sure enough when we arrived, I witnessed the sweetest display of true love. Grandma leaned over and said, "Hello." Grandpa immediately recognized her, perked up and said, "Oh, it's you!!" He then slowly put his arm around her neck and with all of the strength he could muster, he pulled her in close and gave her a kiss. He pulled her in for kiss after kiss. Then he kept stroking her face and holding on to her. You could tell that he missed her dearly. I can only hope that Scott and I can have such a strong love for each other when we are old and frail. It is so scary when there are such high statistics for divorce looming over each marriage. I hope all of our marriages can be as strong as theirs. It was wonderful to visit with Scott's grandparents again.
1 comment:
Thanks for that! How cute are his grandparents. I tried telling Kevin about it and couldn't. I made him read it.
Post a Comment