Last monday Bryson gave us quite a scare. He started just screaming out of nowhere. My instints said hey something is wrong, but my brain said don't be silly it's probably just a bad tummy ache (I ate some taco seasonging the day before.) So he screamed for a good part of an hour then finally calmed down into a good 20 min. nap. I thought yea we're good, but he woke up screaming again. He didn't want to eat, just screamed then small nap, then screamed then small nap. This went on for 3 hours then I noticed he was getting pale and lethargic. So I called the dr. they didn't have an appt. for 2 more hours - I said no way I'm coming in now! They saw us right away. I took off his diaper for the rectal temp. and said um, that is not normal. His right testical looked swollen and red (I had not changed his diaper while he was screaming because he was already so mad - I just did side peeks to make sure he wasn't poopy.)
He had an incarcerated hernia that had hardened so the dr. tried to reduce it, but with no luck and sent me strait to Primary Children's Hospital. She said to not stop for anything, have your husband pack your bags and find a babysitter you're going to have surgery tonight. So of course I was bawling (not a good idea - makes it hard to see the road!) Mom and dad met us at the hospital. Mom hopped in Scott's car and took our kids up to her house while dad came in to help Scott give a blessing. Of course the ER was packed and the first kid I saw had a barf bowl and the rest were lathargic on their parent's laps. Not to mention there were some horrific coughs! And if anyone knows me, they'd know all of those germs would freak me out. They did! Bryson was very lethargic at this point, he haddn't made a peep for about an hour (which made me even more nervous), but at least he didn't need to be held. So I was able to keep a blanket over his carrier. Luckily we didn't have to wait long. The admitting Dr./nurse tried to reduce the hernia also with no luck. He also mentioned that it was hard. They had us wait for our room in the radiology waiting room to get away from the germs - very nice of them. While there we snuck into a little changing room to give Bryson a blessing. By the time we came out there was a nurse waiting for us. The dr. came in to try and reduce the hernia. It took some manipulation, but it did go in. Oh, i cannot tell you the relief we felt. So we did not have to do surgery that night, which I'm grateful for because we are more emotionally prepared now (well maybe not), but Bryson was in shock from the pain so now his little body will be able to enter the surgery well, plus he needed to have surgery at about 6 mons. old on his man parts, now we were able to cordinate with both surgeons and we are able to do both at the same time so he won't have to be put under again in 5 mons.
So anyway we were able to leave the ER and set up an appt. with the surgeon. They told us that the hernia still had to be repaired because it is very likely that the intestines will come out again. All it would take is a cry, a poop, gas or a squirm. So we are very careful to keep him happy and are constantly checking his diaper. We have been pretty stressed, but feel a little better after meeting with the surgeon. His surgery will be this monday, they let us know later what time. They expect that he will go home same day so we'll see. We have been saying lots of prayers.
3 comments:
Oh Tami! You guys have had it a bit rough the past few weeks! We hope and pray everything will be all right soon!! Poor little guy to go through so much! Poor Mommy, too!! That's so cute how Blake and Emilee are so sweet with Bryson.
I will keep you in my prayers.
Holy cow, Tami! I don't know why you keep getting such tough breaks! We'll be praying for the surgery to go well.
Post a Comment